Published on May 19th, 2012 | by Sportingly Better Tipster0
Champions League Final 2012 – Predictions & Betting Tips
UEFA Champions League Final
Saturday 19th May 2012, Kick-off: 19:45
Allianz Arena, Munich
Bayern Munich v Chelsea
Bayern Munich @1.72
West Ham @4.75
Defenders David Alaba and Holger Badstuber along with midfielder Luis Gustavo are suspended for Bayern Munich.Manager Jupp Heynckes purposefully left out the three suspended players for the last game of the season in the Bundesliga and brought in Diego Contento at left back, Anatoliy Tymoschuk in central defence with Toni Kroos playing in a deeper midfield role alongside Bastian Schweinsteiger with Thomas Muller recalled.
Neuer; Lahm, Boateng, Tymoshchuk, Contento; Kroos, Schweinsteiger; Ribery, Muller, Robben; Gomez
Chelsea will also have to deal with suspensions. Captain John Terry, midfielders Raul Meireles and Ramires as well as defender Branislav Ivanovic are all suspended. Central defensive duo Gary Cahill and David Luiz are suffering from hamstring injuries, but both defenders crucially look likely to be available for Roberto Di Matteo’s side. Florent Malouda is also suffering from a hamstring injury. Should Malouda fail to shake of his injury Lampard could be asked to play higher up the pitch with Michael Essien coming into centre midfield.
Cech; Bosingwa, Cahill, Luiz, Cole; Mikel, Lampard; Kalou, Mata, Malouda; Drogba
Form & Tactics
Both sides have a number of suspensions to contend with. The loss for Chelsea of Ramires who provided such energy and drive against Barcelona in the Semi Final may leave Roberto Di Matteo adopting a more physical approach playing up to Drogba. Set pieces may be a good avenue for Chelsea to explore, although the suspension of both Terry and Ivanovic will have weakened that threat. Going into Saturday’s final Chelsea have won just three of their last seven matches.
Bayern Munich have already tested their Champions League final team, but the Bavarians go into the final after a stinging 5-2 defeat in the German Cup final. Prior to last week’s domestic final Bayern had won four games on the bounce and the German’s have won eight out of 12 games in the Champions League this season.
- Bayern Munich have won all six games in Europe at the Allianz Arena this season
- Mario Gomez is the second highest scorer in the Champions League with 12 goals
- Bayern have lost two of three previous finals against English sides
- Mario Gomez has hit a shot on target every 30 minutes in the Champions League this season
- Manager Jupp Heynckes won the Champions League in 1998 with Real Madrid
- Bayern Munich have won 13 of their last 14 European home games
- Mario Gomez has scored 20 goals in his last 17 Champions League appearances
- Chelsea have scored in each of their last 13 Champions League games
- Frank Lampard has scored three of Chelsea’ six goals against Bayern Munich
- Chelsea have won only once against German opposition in six games
- Didier Drogba is Chelsea’s top goalscorer in Europe this season with five goals
- Chelsea have won only once away in Europe this season
- Chelsea won 6-5 on aggregate against Bayern Munich in the 2004/2005 Champions League Quarter Finals
- The Blues have lost seven of the last nine penalty shoot outs
- Chelsea have played two games more than Bayern Munich since the Champions League Semi Finals
Home advantage could prove crucial to Bayern Munich who have won all six European games at the Allianz Arena this season. The Germans go into Saturday’s final in much the better form although Bayern were easily beaten by Borussia Dortmund in last week’s German cup final. Mario Gomez has been prolific in Europe this season scoring 12 goals and will be the main threat for Chelsea to contend with.
Chelsea have suspensions to key players including captain John Terry, but Roberto Di Matteo’s side have showed that they should not be underestimated after navigating past favourites Barcelona in the semi-final. Didier Drogba should look to target Tymoschuk in central defence with the holding midfielder being asked to fill in at the back in the absence of Holger Badstuber.
Bayern Munich are the much fancied side and should come out on top at the Allianz Arena in Saturday’s UEFA Champions League final.
Best Bet: Bayern Munich to win @1.72
Value Bet: Mario Gomez to score anytime @2.05
Long Shot: Bayern Munich to win on Penalties @13.00
Looking to Bet on the Match?
Paddy Power are offering a Champions League Money Back Special. If Chelsea lift the Champions League trophy, then all losing first and last goalscorer, correct score and scorecast singles bets will be refunded.